Cannon Falls Volleyball Impressive in Sweep of WEM
The Cannon Falls Bombers had a team hitting percentage of .348 in a sweep over Waterville-Elysian-Morristown in the Bombers Hangar tonight.
The latest Minnesota Volleyball Coaches Association Poll had Cannon Falls ranked #3 and the Buccaneers #7 in Class AA. This is the first year Waterville-Elysian-Morristown is in Class AA. High school volleyball now has four classes.
The Buccaneers are replacing a lot of players off of some very good teams over the past five years. Head Coach Crystal Lamont has built one of the best programs in the state but it was the first match of the season for her team against a veteran Bombers squad with all the tools to have a long season.
Sophmore Madison Burr was super efficient for Cannon Falls hitting .533 with 11 kills in the 25-9, 25-13, 25-13 victories. Senior Halle Hustad hit .417 with 8 kills, Senior Lauren Johnson had 7 kills while hitting .235. Freshman Karsyn Winchell hit a blistering .800 with 4 kills.
Three set totals for the Bombers included 35 kills, 11 hitting errors. 42 digs led by senior setter Jaci Winchell with 10, Burr had 9. Winchell tallied 33 of the team's 35 assists.
Cannon Falls had 8 service aces and 1 error. These statistics are from Cannon Falls official stats.
The Buccaneers didn't have many scoring runs in the contest with 23 kills and 18 hitting errors for a .049 hitting percentage.
Sophmore Claire Bohlen led the WEM team with 7 kills while hitting 0.077. Senior Riley Sammon had 6 kills hitting 0.095. Senior Alex Heuss achieved 7 kills while hitting .105.
It's going to take some time for Waterville-Elysian-Morristown to develop some chemistry. The scores might not indicate it but I thought they got better with each set in their opener in a tough place to play.
The future looks bright too. Sophmore Josephine Volkmann led the Bucs with 10 digs. Sophmore libero Grace Baker had 9 digs.
Senior setter Mikaya Schuster was credited with 20 of the team's 21 assists,
The Buccaneers host New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva in their Gopher Conference opener Thursday.
Cannon Falls goes to Stewartville Thursday. The Tigers are rated #2 in Class AAA.
Other area scores tonight include:
- #1A Mayer Lutheran 3 #6A Bethlehem Academy 0 25-20, 14, 21
- Mankato East 3 Faribault 2 25-18, 18-25, 26-24, 18-25, 6-15
- Mn. Academy for the Deaf 3 Cristo Rey Jesuit 2 20-25, 21-25, 25-23, 25-15, 6-15
- Owatonna 3 Farmington 2 26-24, 20-25, 25-23, 13-25, 19-17
- Southwest Christian 3 Kasson-Mantorville 2 25-15, 26-24, 22-25, 24-26, 11-15
- Pine Island 3 Triton 1 23-25, 25-14, 25-9, 25-21
- Eagan 3 Stillwater 0
- Fillmore Central 3 Rochester Lourdes 0
- Belle Plaine 3 Simley 0
- Apple Valley 3 Hastings 0
- Madelia 3 United South Central 0
- Waconia 3 Prior Lake 2
- Rosemount 3 Tartan 0
- Rushford-Peterson 3 Wabasha-Kellogg 0
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa 3 St. Charles 0
- Stewartville 3 Kenyon-Wanamingo 0 16-25, 17-25, 25-9, 16-25
- Spring Grove 3 Schaeffer Academy 0
- Lewison-Altura 3 Rochester John Marshall 2
- Waseca 3 St. James Area 1
Could you guess your birth year vehicle?
LOOK: See the iconic cars that debuted the year you were born
Is your name on this list?
KEEP READING: What were the most popular baby names from the past 100 years?