Donation Tips for National Blood Donor Month
UNDATED (WJON News) - January is National Blood Donor Month.
Get our free mobile app
An estimated 29,000 units of blood are needed every day in the U.S.
The American Red Cross has helped streamline the process of making a blood donation with an app available for free from Google Play or the App Store. Once downloaded, the app will direct a donor to the nearest blood donation center or mobile event.
Blood Donation Facts from the American Red Cross:
- Blood is needed every two seconds in the U.S.
- Approximately 29,000 units of red blood are needed every day nationwide.
- Nearly 5,000 units of platelets and 6,500 units of plasma are needed daily.
- A single-car accident victim can need more than 100 units of blood.
- “Type O” blood is the most requested blood type.
The Red Cross says a single donation can save more than one life. For more information on how to volunteer, find the American Red Cross here.