Introducing: First Modular Hotel In Minnesota Is Being Built In Owatonna
As if Owatonna couldn’t get even better, it has! Owatonna will be getting a Modular hotel! This makes Owatonna the home to Minnesota’s first modular hotel.
Wait, what is a modular hotel?
Well, according to Wikipedia, a modular building (what this hotel essentially is) is a “building that consists of repeated sections called modules. Modularity involves constructing sections away from the building site, then delivering them to the intended site. Installation of the prefabricated sections is completed on site.”
The extended-stay hotel coming to Owatonna will be 4 stories consisting of 56 mods. The mods are manufactured by Rise Modular. This will the first modular hotel built in the state of Minnesota! The project will consists of 54 mods, but will have 84 rooms and is going up on land near the movie theater along I-35.
Construction on the new Owatonna Home2 Suites by Hilton will begin spring 2023.
But why modular hotels, you may ask. Well according to Rise Modular, the manufacturer of the new project shares some data on why Modular building is beneficial:
- Volumetric modular has been proven to be 30 to 50% faster than traditional construction methods. Why? Sequencing is reduced, inside manufacturing adds certainty, and production is more efficient.
- The biggest cost advantage for volumetric modular is control and consistency. Off-site construction saves 1-20% of total cost.
- The manufacturing facility is 100% climate-controlled and highly automated. Work is completed without the effects of weather or the impact of dirt and debris. With their assembly-line approach, they fine-tune work and deliver a level of precision unavailable in field assembly.
- Offsite construction optimizes construction materials purchasing and usage while minimizing onsite waste and offering a higher quality product to the owner/developer (Up to a 90% reduction in waste).
- Climate-controlled production environment allows them to mitigate risk and provide safety precautions unavailable in the field.
- Because 75 to 90% of construction is completed offsite, neighbors do not have to deal with a prolonged construction timeline filled with noise, dust, traffic, and constant deliveries that take up valuable street space and driveways.
Here is everything about the first Modular Hotel in Minnesota, provided by risemodular.com:
Kinseth Hospitality is a successful hospitality developer specializing in small-city hotels throughout the Upper Midwest. As an active Hilton and Marriott franchisee, Kinseth had been encouraged to try volumetric modular construction; however, no suppliers could efficiently provide services to the locations where they build. Then RISE Modular opened its doors in 2019, and the opportunity to try modular presented itself.
Kinseth and RISE are partnering to build a Home2 Suites in Owatonna, the hometown of RISE’s manufacturing facility — the jobsite is only 1.2 miles away!
The Home2 Suites is an extended-stay hotel by Hilton Hotels that feature in-suite kitchens, an indoor pool, a business center and meeting rooms.
Rise Modular predicts that construction duration should be about 9 months, with an expected groundbreaking time this spring. AKA SOON!
All information is credited to wikipedia.org and risemodular.com.