Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) - The City of Minneapolis has decided to enforce a curfew for a second straight in response to the rioting and looting in the city last night.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey says the curfew will be in effect from 8 PM Thursday through 6 AM Friday as part of the city's effort to keep the peace. The violence last night followed erroneous social media reports that followed the suicide of a man who was wanted as a suspect in a murder that occurred earlier in the day on Wednesday. The man shot himself while police officers were approaching him in downtown Minneapolis, but social media reports suggested he had been shot by police.

The latest count of the number of arrests by Minneapolis Police, Hennepin County deputies, State Troopers, and Minnesota DNR conservation officers is over 130. Officials have said most of the arrests were for burglary, damage to property and obstruction.

The Minnesota National Guard says 45 soldiers from a Military Police Company based in Monticello arrived in Minneapolis late last night and assisted with traffic control points, while about 100 soldiers were available to assist Minneapolis police during the day. A news release says an additional 300 soldiers from a Montevideo-based unit were activated today.

News Update: Twins Decide Not To Play Against Detroit