These 5 Common Plants Could Be Big Trouble for Pets in Minnesota
Early summer is great in Minnesota because most of our trees, plants, and shrubs have finally fully leafed out-- but that also means there are some common plants blooming that could be poisonous to your pets.
A friend of mine once said that his dogs consider everything as either food or gum because if they can't eat it (like food), they can at least chew it (like gum.) And if your pet happens to encounter any of the following common plants here in Minnesota, it could cause big problems, because these plants are all toxic (or, parts of them are, at least) to our common household pets.
According to GardenBite.com, a Minnesota garden website, if you have pets, you'll want to make sure the following plants are NOT in your yard:
The yew. This common ornamental shrub, while pretty, can be a problem if it's in your yard, because just about EVERY part of it is toxic, from its needles to its bark. And it can be poisonous to both pets and people. The only part that's NOT poisonous is the flesh of the yew cone, so it's best to avoid the yew entirely, GardenBite notes.
Hydrangeas. These flowering plants are pretty, but as GardenBite notes, they're also poisonous to dogs. In fact, the leaves and buds are also toxic to cats and horses, as well, if your pet happens to chew on the plant.
Euonymus plant. These plants, which include everything from euonymus shrubs, trees or bushes (and are also sometimes known as Burning Bush) aren't toxic to the touch by humans but can be poisonous if a large amount is ingested, according to GardenBite. (Which is something your dog might do!)
Rhododendrons and azaleas. These common flowers are, once again, very pretty to see in your yard, but the leaves, flowers and nectar are toxic to dogs. Plus, GardenBite notes that honey from rhododendron flowers can be toxic, even in humans.