That beautiful doggo is Daisy. She and her family, the Suhrs, live in Kasson. She's beautiful, stoic, and, it turns out, fond of sneaking food. Sometimes, like just the other day, Daisy snuck some food that could easily have killed her, but instead, her alert human got her to the vet in the nick of time.

What did she sneak? Raisins. The family took her to KM Regional Vet Hospital and she's fine now.

According to the American Kennel Club, eating raisins (or grapes, were are just undried raisins) is bad for your dog.

Grapes and raisins are known to be highly toxic to dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this reaction. Because of that, peeled or seedless grapes should also be avoided.

Doesn't matter the breed or the age of the dog, eating either grapes or raisins can be fatal, so if you think your dog ate some, call the vet immediately. They'll probably recommend inducing your dog to vomit but wait 'til your vet says to do it. They'll want to check a few things that could make vomiting impossible or deadly.

How do you know they ate raisins or grapes? According to PetMed.com, these are the signs to watch for:

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea – often within a few hours of ingestion.
    Vomit and fecal contents material may contain pieces of grapes or raisin.
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual quietness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Oliguria (passing only a small amount of urine)
  • Anuria (complete cessation of urine)
  • Foul breath
  • Oral ulcers
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Listen to James Rabe 6a to 10a on Y-105 FM